Wednesday, April 30, 2014


Last weekend I wrote a small Chrome extension that helps me to avoid facebook & livejournal. I mean I allow myself to stare at them for 10 minutes max & then Antislaker (the extension) kicks in & blocks those 2 domains for the rest of the day.

The idea is this:

  1. In we look for a domain name match. If the match was successfully, we inject a chunk of JS code.
  2. The injected peace of the code contains a counter that every 5 seconds updates a record in localStore.
  3. When a time limit comes, we move user to our internal page withing Chrome extension that shows a random Dilbert comics.

The most tricky part was making a 'mutex' for localStore records. Because the user can open several facebook pages & the counter (in the worst case) will count 2 times faster. It's actually a pity that we don't have any concurrency primitives in JS & so we have to invert poor man's busy waiting when using timers.

No comments:

Post a Comment